Sunday, June 22, 2008

Worst Train Trip EVER in Europe!

I thought that falling down on the train in front of dozens of strangers was bad. That was bad. But today I had an even WORSE train trip.

I left Delemont at 6:20. The car I got into smelled like urine. I had flashbacks of the Metro in Miami. I settled in though and figured that as long as my seat wasn't wet I was okay. Then I heard a loud marching band playing some sort of sport theme/fight song. Then that music got closer and closer. A group of boys marched onto my car with great fanfare (and a large flag) and settled in. I think they must have been some sort of track team because they were wearing track suits but carried no other equipement with them. Unless you count the giant speakers they were carting around. Huge speakers, speakers you see at a concert. They had theirs on a cart with wheels so they could be obnoxious with greater ease. They were playing what sounded like a German Garth Brooks and they sang along loudly.

I wish that had been the worst part of my trip.

When I got to Bern--and finally got rid of the track team--I hustled to my next platform and got on the train. The train didn't seem right, but it was at my platform at the right time so I figured it must be okay.

It wasn't. Turns out that the train I got on was the previous train that had been delayed about 10 minutes. That train did NOT stop in Fruitigen and I went about 40 minutes out of my way before I could get off and go back the right way. Damn my luck. It was probably the first late Swiss train in 10 years and I wasn't paying enough attention and got on it.

The best part about my trip is that I did not vomit on the bus from Fruitigen to Adelboden, but it was really close. I meant to ride the bus all the way up the hill into the village but I had to get off in the valley because I didn't want to vomit in my lap. Mom you're going to have a Great time visiting the Alps. The roads are wonderfully curvy.

But, I made it back. 2 hours later than I expected but mostly alive.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

new travel checklist:
make sure you confirm the train number before boarding..
bring crackers and a soda or frizzante water to keep something on your stomach ..
sit near a window and let the cool air hit your face ..
sit up front so you can see ahead and keep your eye on the horizon

Loft Offcourse said...

Sonia,

I was reciting a mantra and keeping my eyes closed, just like my Mom used to tell me. I don't think the two red-bulls I drank helped much either.

KAT