Sunday, June 22, 2008

Off Trail Switzerland

I got up late this morning. We didn't get back from Neuchatel until nearly 1 am. We slept on the train, and then I had to nearly push/pull Laura up the hill. Dead tired. I decided that I am too old for such shenanigans and that I would rather get up early in the morning and enjoy fresh air of a new day than drag my sorry, sleepy, half drunk self home at 1 am. I didn't get out of bed until nearly 10 am, which doesn't feel good at all. I was worried about being able to get to bed early enough tonight to get enough sleep to catch the 6:20 am trail, so we went for a run today.

We ran out to CABI and checked our email--I was supposed to be scouting out the CABI kitchen to give Laura some advice for her lunch-cooking-day, but it doesn't matter because she won't listen to me anyway. Seriously Laura, 5 liters of sauce PLUS potatoes and carrots and apples will be more than enough. Sorry, I've digressed. We ran to CABI, and checked our email--turns out I scared some people with my 'I've been attacked in the dark' post. Sorry Mom, Sorry Laura. It was just a game. Damn, there I go again.

On the way back from CABI, we cut through the woods and ended up coming out on a road that looked familiar. When we hiked up to the castle ruins several weekends ago we hiked along a road that lead more or less to Laura's house. We were fairly sure that that same road was perpendicular to where we were. We jogged up the road and took the first right, it FELT right at least. The road started out as two fairly well used wheel ruts, though the grass between them was about waist high. Eventually those ruts were overgrown and we were running through a barely perceptible break between a wheat field and a corn field. That ended also and we were simply walking through a corn field trying to find a break in the hay field beyond. Of course we found it but not before Laura's chorus of "Why do we always go off the trail? Isn't Switzerland adventurous enough for you?" It wasn't MY fault. It was all Laura's idea to catch up with the road that cuts through the fields. Naturally we found that road shortly after the finale of "I'm miserable, I hate everything" And all was good. Until we met the cows.

The trail that the road connects to cuts through a cow field. Well, it does now apparently. Last time we came down the trail it was roped off and the cows were a comfortable distance away--though all that separated the cows from us was a thin ribbony thing (which is supposed to be an electric fence but it doesn't look like it would be much of a match for a thousand pound animal) This time, there was no ribbon. We jogged around the bend and realized that we were surrounded by surly looking bovines. We walked slowly and quietly and tried to give them wide berth. For large vegetarians that spend 20 hours a day chewing grass they certainly looked Fierce. I admit, I was scared. They had this crazy glint in their eyes. I do not make eye contact with cows. Isn't that dangerous? They had tons of flies buzzing around them and all I could think about was Simon talking to the Beast in Lord Of The Flies...

My first real run since the 1/2 marathon in January. Whew! I can't wait to find a nice route around Adelboden. I'll have to run with the mountain rather than against it. Hopefully I can find a cow/field free route also.

No comments: